Monday, June 7, 2010

The Truth: Chemical Relaxers


After watching Chris Rock's "Good Hair" documentary, I decided to share some of my thoughts on chemical relaxers. I have been natural now (again) for at least 3 years. My reason for leaving the chemical relaxer alone was simple...it was destroying the quality and quantity of my hair! I have a head full or thick, naturally curly hair, but I noticed after getting relaxers for a few years, my hair was thinning out. I had breakage and my hair just wasn't healthy. Also, I have been on a quest to eliminate unnecessary chemicals from my food, toiletries, and life in general....so the relaxer had to go!

Watching Good Hair reminded me of why I quit relaxers! Let me share a few things with you:

“Lye” or “No Lye”

Sodium Hydroxide is the strongest type of principal chemical used in some chemical relaxers because it provides the most long lasting and dramatic effects. However, this same sodium hydroxide is found in drain cleaners which well demonstrates the strength of this chemical. It is what is used in products that are referred to as “lye” relaxers. The strength varies from a pH factor of 10 to 14. With higher pH, the faster the straightening solution will take hold, but the more potential the damage.

Guanidine Hydroxide is the other common option of relaxer chemical used today. This is what is referred to as “no-lye” relaxers. This label can be misleading to some consumers. It does not imply that there aren't any strong chemicals used or that the chemicals used are somehow less potentially damaging. Some have mistakenly thought that with “no-lye” relaxers there are less steps and all the worry of chemical hair straightening is removed. Although this type of chemical hair relaxer can be less damaging than its counterpart, the hair and scalp should be in top condition before attempting treatment, and this type also requires special care when applied.


So we, as African American and Latino women, are essentially putting the same chemical that is in drain cleaners on our heads! We let it sit there for minutes, soaking into our hair, all in the name of beauty!

Instead of chemically relaxing your hair, here are some options:

*Braids

*Weaves

*Wigs

*Flat-irons

*Non-chemical Relaxers

*Locks or Twists

or just wearing your hair in its natural texture!



Food For Thought:
For too long we have been using chemical relaxers to make our hair look more like society's idea of "good hair" (ie: European hair)! While I love to wear straight hair-styles, I have found ways of doing it without the use of harsh and dangerous chemicals! If you wouldn't put drain cleaner on your head, you should think twice about chemical relaxers!

No comments:

Post a Comment